• Insurance quotes for electricians

Electricians Insurance Quote

Electricians' and Electrical Contractors' Insurance Cover

Specialist insurance protection is a must-have for you, an Electrician, whether you are self-employed or running an incorporated business. The Electricians’ insurance policies offered by Invicta Business’ give a foundation of essential covers, such as Employees Liability Insurance and Public Liability Insurance, alongside a menu of other cover options that provide you with the comprehensive protection that you as an Electrician require.  

Why do Electricians need Business Insurance?

There are two type of business insurance for Electricians. One is ‘Must have’ the other is ‘Should have’.

Employers’ Liability Insurance (Must have for Electricians)

What exactly is Employers' Liability Insurance?

If you are an Electrician, or an Electrical Contractor with one or more employees you are responsible in law for the health and safety of your staff while they are at work. Your employees (and even former employees) may be injured at work or become ill as a result of their work while in your employment. This is particularly relevant for electricians. Your staff might be working on ladders, handling live power cables, dealing with poorly installed or outdated wiring and so on. All of which could cause injury. Your staff might have a right to claim compensation from you if they believe you are responsible. This could be an extremely high value claim. The Employers’ Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969 ensures that you have at least a minimum level of insurance cover against any such claims.

The obligatory insurance cover is there to cover the cost of any successful compensation claim made against you. It will enable you to meet the cost of compensation for your employees’ injuries or illness whether they are caused on or off site. However, any injuries and illness relating to motor accidents that occur while your employees are working for you may be covered separately by your motor insurance. You must ensure that your employees are fully covered when driving, or riding in, your vehicles.

The legal requirement for Employers’ liability insurance is that you, as an employer, should have at least £5 million of employers’ liability cover. Invicta Business provides flexibility of cover and you can increase this amount if you want to.

You are also required by law to display a certificate of employers’ liability insurance in your workplace. You can be fined up to £2,500 it you do not have the minimum liability cover.

Remember, having the insurance required by law does not alter your obligation to look after the health and safety needs of your employees. For an electrician this would include providing the correct clothing, including safety helmets as appropriate, providing a safe working environment and ensuring that work is planned in a way that it is not rushed with corners cut.  Your insurance provider may have grounds to refuse to pay a claim if it can be shown that you, as an employer, have neglected your responsibilities in this regard.

Electrician companies that only employ close relations, such as family members, may be exempted from the requirement to carry employers’ liability insurance provided you are not incorporated as a limited company. However, you should always check with the insurance provide – Just to make sure!   

Which insurance companies can sell me employers’ liability insurance?

You must use an authorised insurer. If you do not, you may be breaking the law. You should check that your insurer is authorised before you take out employers’ liability insurance.  As an independent insurance broker, Invicta Business is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).

Does my commercial insurance policy contain conditions?

As an electrician or electrical contractor, if you take out Employers’ Liability Insurance through Invicta Business, you will have an agreement with your insurance provider about the circumstances in which they will pay compensation.

Our agreement is tailored to your exact needs as an electrician, but in general will have certain conditions. Most of those are favourable to you.

Remember, however, that having insurance cover does not mean you can forget about your legal responsibilities to protect the health and safety of your employees. For example, you must carry out a risk assessment that is suitable and sufficient, and take all reasonably practicable measures to protect your employees and report incidents.

Public Liability Insurance (Should have)

Public liability insurance is different from Employers’ Liability Insurance. It covers you for claims made against you by members of the public or other businesses, but not for claims by employees. While employers’ liability insurance is compulsory, public liability insurance is voluntary. However, you should treat the voluntary nature of such insurance with care.

Public Liability Insurance cover may be a condition before a sub-contract is awarded. Contractors usually want to ensure that all electricians working at a site are covered for public liability. It may be necessary to produce evidence of an electrician’s business insurance before a contract is awarded.

Even though public liability insurance is not a legal requirement, it is an investment well worth making for an electrician. That is because it would cover any financial liabilities you might have that arises as a consequence of your work. So for example, it is there to protect you against claims which arise if a member of the public, such as a customer or passer-by, is injured due to the works being carried out overhead by you or a member of your staff. Damage to property belonging to the member of the public because of some electrical fault would also be covered.

Both injury and damage would be covered if they resulted from electrical works occurring at a later date. This might be because of faulty or poorly installed wiring causing a fire or causing an electric shock at some future date.

If your electrical work is deemed to be at fault, then liability would be attributed to you. Then your public liability insurance policy would be called upon to meet the legal costs and any compensation awarded by the courts.

Customers may ask you to show that they have public liability cover before they award you a contract.

What other forms of insurance cover does Invicta Business offer to Electricians?

There are various covers available within the Invicta Business’ range of policies that we bolt on to make sure our insurance coverage is more tailored to meet your precise needs as a Electrician. Here are examples of the most popular ones


As an electrical contractor, you should ensure that your site is covered by your public liability insurance. Make sure that the extent and scope of your coverage is appropriate for the contract. Check also regarding your potential risk, regarding works, materials and contract staff. If you sub-contract work to others that work without supervision, they will need their own insurance cover. Check to see it is in place.


If you carry out sub-contracting work on a supervised basis, you should be covered under the main contractor’s policy for on-site risks. If you are unsupervised, you will probably need your own cover. You should check in each instance.


If you are an Electrician you are probably using vehicles to carry your tools, materials and people. You will need to ensure that you have the proper insurance cover required.

You may therefore need a separate commercial vehicle insurance policy to cover your van(s) and car(s).  Find out more about the commercial vehicle insurance cover available from Invicta Business.

Remember, you are legally required to insure any vehicles that you are using on the public highway for third party liability cover under the Road Traffic Act. Invicta Business provides a broad range of cover from third party only to the most commonly chosen comprehensive level of cover. This complies with and exceeds this legal requirement.


As an Electrician you may need to obtain insurance cover for the tools of your trade, whether they are hand or power tools. The policy arranged by Invicta Business will usually provide for them to be replaced by new equivalents if they are stolen or damaged.

Many Electricians believe incorrectly that the contents of their commercial vehicles are covered under their vehicle insurance. Whilst most policies provide a small amount of cover for personal possessions, between £100 to £250, none will pick up cover for your stock, tools or other goods whilst in transit. To ensure that these elements are insured whilst in transit you will need to have specific Goods in Transit or Tools in Transit cover in place. At Invicta Business we can offer either stand alone policies for these important covers or we may be able to include them within your business insurance policy.

Invicta Business provides you an option to extend your insurance to cover any tools that are left in vehicles overnight. However, this will add to the premium.

Buildings cover

Another element of the Invicta Business ‘Electricians insurance cover package’ protects your premises against damage caused by fire, flooding, weather damage, and similar perils.

 Your Invicta Business policy can be tailored for occupied building, unoccupied buildings and contents insurance

If you rent or own a business premises, you should consider business interruption insurance which will cover you in the event that you are unable to work due to damage to your workspace.

Business/office equipment

In addition to insuring your buildings and work tools, you may need cover for office equipment such as computers. Again, an Invicta Business policy can be tailored to meet your requirement. For example you may decide to extend your policy to cover protection for such items as laptops and mobile phones away from the premises as well as in it. The policy may stipulate that certain assets are not left in a vehicle overnight.

Get an Instant Online Quote for your Electricians Insurance

Invicta Business is an independent commercial insurance broker.  With our expertise and extensive panel of insurers, we can help match you with the best policy for your needs.  Click on our "Get A Quote" button now for an instant online quote.

View Related Services

  • Request a Call Back

  • Why Choose Us?

    • Simple and immediate quote process

    • Competitive premiums

    • Instant cover 24 hours a day 7 days a week

    • Automatic production of your documentation

    • Quality Assured Service